Application to Become a NC Board Approved School

If you would like to request an application to open a North Carolina Board-approved school, you may download the New School Application Request Form from the document center.  In order for a school of massage and bodywork therapy to be approved by the Board, the school must demonstrate that it meets all criteria which are set forth in Section .0600 of the Rules.


Schools Approved by the NC Board

The following schools have been granted approval by the Board. Graduates of these schools are eligible to apply for a massage and bodywork therapy license in North Carolina.  Applicants may be issued a North Carolina license, if they meet all conditions for a license required by the Board and have passed one of the following exams: MBLEX or ABTE.


Board Approved Schools
School Name School Location
American & European Massage Clinic, Inc. Raleigh, NC
Asheville School of Massage and Yoga  Asheville, NC
Carolina Massage Institute Hillsborough, NC
College of Wilmington Wilmington, NC
Center for Massage & Natural Health Asheville, NC
The Healing Arts and Massage School Raleigh, NC
Kneaded Energy School of Massage  Greensboro, NC
Living Arts Institute Winston Salem, NC
Maiden School of Massage and Bodywork Therapy Maiden, NC
Gwinnett College Raleigh, NC
Miller-Motte Technical College Fayetteville, NC
Miller-Motte Technical College Wilmington, NC
North Carolina Massage School Cornelius, NC
North Carolina School of Advanced Bodywork, Inc. Charlotte, NC
Southeastern Institute Charlotte, NC
Therapeutic Massage Training Institute Charlotte, NC
Western North Carolina School of Massage  Asheville, NC


Below is a link to the list of proprietary massage and bodywork therapy programs and their contact information:

Massage and Bodywork Therapy Programs Contact Information


Schools Not Subject to Approval by the Board

Effective July 1, 2006, massage and bodywork therapy programs offered by community colleges in North Carolina that are accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, or massage and bodywork therapy programs offered by a degree or diploma granting college or university accredited by any accrediting agency that is recognized by the United States Department of Education and is licensed by the North Carolina Community College System or The University of North Carolina Board of Governors, are exempt from approval by the Board.

Below is a link to the list of massage therapy programs that are offered within the NC Community College System:

Massage Therapy Community College Programs